Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The poor old music cabinet


The poor old music cabinet is still being used daily at the school. It's origin and age - nobody knows, but we did manage to get a great quote from former Thornhill student and current parent, Drew Johnson.


"The most powerful memory I have of the music cabinet is going to the auditorium with a small group of kids for "folk dance" lessons. The teacher, who as I remember was quite flamboyant, used the cabinet to play records, and of course us boys were embarassed at having to dance with the girls. By the way, I'm pretty sure the folding chairs were the same too. I graduated in '68 from Thornhill!"
Drew Johnson.

1 comment:

aoman said...

Hi. My name is Erik Johansson and I attended Thornhill for grades K, 1, and part of 2, and then we moved to Walnut Creek. We moved back a couple of years later and I attended grades 4 through 6. I graduated in 1968 and then went on to Montera and Skyline. I just read Drew's post about the music cabinet (Drew and I were classmates in grades 4-6). Funny -- I don't remember the music cabinet, but I remember the dancing. Some of us guys actually liked it as we got to dance with the girls we liked. I think Mr Gharda was our teacher at the time. I remember that eventually he had us pick permanent dance partners. I picked Tracy Mayes, who I had a big crush on at the
time.

I think my mom gave me all my old class pictures a number of years ago. They are probably out in a box in the garage some place. When I find them, I will scan them and send them in. I have many other memories from Thornhill which I will try to post at some point.

Thanks!

Erik Johansson