Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Ms Hom - one of the best teachers I ever had

I attended Thornhill Elementary for 3rd and 4th grades between 1986 and 1988. My 3rd grade teacher, Miss Hom, remains in my memory as one of the best teachers I have ever had. Her willingness to encourage and explore the diversity of her students was as phenomenal as the cultures represented: African names like Efuru and Tyondai, a Philippina girl whose mother was deaf and spoke sign language, a Cambodian refugee, a white staunch republican named Jesse Jackson, and Ms. Hom's Cantonese history to boot.

Ms. Hom encouraged us by celebrating our birthdays with a special event: each student got the chance to sit in front of the class, share a snack (cupcakes, if we were lucky!) and bring a special guest. (Usually a family member.) The rest of the class then got to ask that person questions, in order for us all to get to know each other. They ranged from, 'What does your dad do?'; to 'What is your favorite color/food/book'; to the ever-present question from Jesse; 'Are you a Republican or a Democrat?' I recall not having an answer and my father joking that I was closer to a Communist than anything. I am so grateful for the opportunity she gave us all.
Elisabeth Hazell -at Thornhill 3rd & 4th Grade 1986-88

2 comments:

Mermaid17 said...

I had Ms. Hom for third grade as well! One of my friends just asked me what one of my favorite birthday memories was, and I told her the time I got to bring my grandma as a special guest into my classroom! She truly was an inspiring teacher.

Danette said...

I loved Ms. Hom - she was my third grade teacher too (in 1983 I think). All of us girls in the class were infatuated with her. So smart, funny and glamorous - we wanted to be like her when we grew up.